David Howell's Background
1987-2010 Pipeline Equities, Houston, Texas
Bought, sold, evaluated and appraised operating crude, natural gas and product pipelines for company account. Acted as agent for Exxon, Occidental, Texaco, Arco and Koch and others. Engaged in the purchase and deconstruction [removal] of 12 million feet of pipelines and associated gas plants, refineries, and crude oil terminals. Responsible for overall projects including procurement, inspection, evaluation, hiring of supervisory personnel, environmental issues (including asbestos issues and ACM), compliance, landowner relations, and right-of-way issues as well as marketing in U. S. and exporting to China and India and other markets. Developed pipeline appraisal business encompassing throughput, pipe values, salvage, and the 'forty factors" concept for valuating pipelines including easements.
1983-1987 Tradex Tubulars, Houston, Texas and Anchorage, Alaska
Purchased surplus and used oilfield tubulars on North Slope and Kenai, Alaska. Refurbished and sold in the United States and Canada and other markets. Responsible for purchasing, plugging and abandoning depleted oil and gas wells for salvage in Texas and Louisiana for company account. Responsible for marketing resulting pipe and equipment.
1972-1983 Tradex Petroleum Services, Houston , Texas
Bought, sold, fabricated, unitized, and exported oilfield drilling and production equipment to contractors in U. S., South America, Central America, and Persian Gulf [ Iran ]. Packaged mud pumps and other components as well as complete drilling rig packages to customer specifications with combined new, used, and rebuilt equipment. Initiated and maintained extensive electronic database of worldwide petroleum industry.
1977 - 1979 Southwest Supply, Houston, Texas
Served as President and CEO of general-purpose oilfield pipe and supply with nine stores throughout South Texas and Louisiana.
1973 - 1983 Tradex Publications, Houston , Texas
Published Tradex, a journal of used oilfield equipment, which was distributed throughout the world (15,000 copies.) Also published 30 titles of oilfield directories and technical manuals including Whole World Oil Directory, Alaska Petroleum and Industrial Directory, Texas Drilling Permits, Texas Petrodata Report and Southwest Petrodata Report via electronic publishing related database marketing.
1970 - 1973 Americana Petrochem, Houston, Texas
Construction and operation involving offshore production platforms. Working from base platforms and new construction for additional new adjacent platforms involving crude and natural gas hook ups for new oil and gas production. Additional research and development of oil spill dispersants and biodegradable chemicals for use on offshore drilling rigs and drill ships. Developed brands of "Deep Six Degreaser", "Rig Wash" and "Supergard" as biodegradable chemicals suitable and safe for offshore use.
1968 - 1970 Western Company of North America
City Sales and Technical Field Representative; downhole services.
Responsibilities including extensive laboratory work testing new cementing techniques and formulas for ultra deep heat and pressure sensitive applications for offshore and onshore oil and gas wells.
1964 - 1972 S.H. Howell Drilling Company, Alice, Texas
Partner in exploration, drilling, production, and work over in South Texas for company account.
- Texas A&M University - Kingsville
B.A. Political Science (International Relations)
- University of Texas Petroleum Technology School
Pipeline Technology Certificate; Program majoring in petroleum technology, technical aspects of hydraulics and pipeline construction, coatings, transportation and distribution.
- University of Texas Petex: Various certificate programs in oil and gas appraisal, oil and gas well log analysis, petroleum accounting methods, oil and gas well completion methods, well servicing procedures, natural gas processing, and oil and gas production
- Senior Right of Way Agent Designation, International Right of Way Association
Completed twelve required courses in various right of way disciplines leading to SRWA (Senior Right of Way Agent) designation. Negotiation/Acquisition certification; International Right of Way Association; Environmental Certification, International Right of Way Association. Appraisal Certification, International Right of Way Association. Certification: Pipeline Appraisal Institute.
- Member: International Right of Way Association, Houston Pipeliners Association, Pipeline Appraisal Institute.
- Academic programs in language, culture and foreign trade at:
Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico, D.F.
University of the Americas, Mexico D. F.
Inter-American University, Saltillo, Mexico
Cultura Lenguas (CLIC), Seville, Spain
Intensa (Language), San Jose, Costa Rica
Academia de Espanol, Quito, Ecuador
Books & Articles
- Pipeline Recovery Manual, Second Edition, 2010
- Pipeline Appraisal Handbook, 2010
- Pipeline Right of Way Handbook, 2010
- "Methods for Determining the Values of Pipelines, Part 1" (September 2010, Pipeline and Gas Technology)
- "Forty Factors for Pipeline Appraisal" (August 2010, Throughput Emag)
- "Deconstruction of Pipelines" (July 2010,Throughput Emag)
- "The Underground World of Pipeline Appraisal" (May/June 2010, Right of Way Magazine)
- "Proper Pipeline Valuation Requires Specialized Appraisal" (May 24, 2010, Oil & Gas Journal
- "What is the Value of Your Pipeline?" (May 2010, Pipeline & Gas Journal)
- "The Case for Pipeline Recycling" (April 2010,Throughput Emag)
- "Pipeline Operators Under using Potential Pipeline Rehabilitation" (January 2010, Oil & Gas Journal)
- "Who Owns Abandoned Pipelines?" (October 2009, Pipeline & Gas Journal)
- "The Art of Pipeline Recovery" (January/February 2009, Right of Way Magazine)
- "The Search for Abandoned Pipelines" (September/October 2007, Right of Way Magazine)